Vacancies and Internships
WAPCA currently has no vacancies
Based in Accra, WAPCA internships are open to fluent English-speaking individuals of all nationalities for a duration of 3-6 months. A 'hands-on' internship with WAPCA will provide an excellent opportunity for you to develop a range of skills required for working in the conservation sector, along with the chance to experience lively, colourful and friendly Ghana!
Required tasks may include:
- Regular updates to the WAPCA website
- Preparing social media publications for our Facebook and Instagram accounts
- Press and media relations (where required)
- Designing leaflets, posters and other creative aspects
- Assisting the coordinator with planning and implementing appropriate conservation education strategies
- Creating educational resources
- Organising events and logistics at the zoo, i.e. Mangabey Awareness Day
- Finding grants for which we are eligible to apply
- Writing grant proposals and securing funding
- Building up a network of corporate partners, in and outside of Ghana
- Carrying out animal husbandry and welfare at the Endangered Primate Breeding Centre, Accra Zoological Gardens
- Assisting with care of any seized animals from the illegal wildlife trade
- Providing enrichment to our collection of primates
Successful candidates will have:
- An MSc in conservation, biodiversity, public policies
- Knowledge of NGOs and their management practices
- A strong interest and curiosity towards the protection of natural environments and threatened species, ideally regarding primate conservation
- Proactivity and voluntarism, with the ability to integrate well within multi-cultural teams
- Excellent organisational skills, adaptability and creativity
- Computer skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint; familiarity with graphics and website design
- Previous experience in a similar position (strongly desired)
Type of Contract: Internship agreement
Location: Achimota Forestry Commission Depot and Accra Zoo, Ghana
Working hours: Monday to Friday, 10 am - 5 pm. You may be expected to work some weekends where necessary.
To apply: Please send your C.V. with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Regretfully, as we are a non-profit governmental organisation, we cannot offer financial assistance for internships, aside from work-related expenses. Ghana is a politically stable country that is safe for travel.
We offer fieldwork placements for undergraduate and postgraduate students. If you would be interested in studying West African primates and/or their habitats, please look at our current opportunities, our Research page or email: email@example.com